Thursday, June 1, 2017

Month in a Minute

If you are a regular reader of my blog, I am going to assume you know that the focus this month has been the publication of my new book, Choose Resilience. For my first book, Ego vs EQ, I used a traditional publisher and this time I self-published, so my experience with the process has been very different. Although maneuvering the world of self-publishing has been challenging, it has been a good exercise in adaptability for me. And unlike my first book, this one tells so much of my personal story, it has also been an exercise in vulnerability.
 
Bright and early on the laundry truck
We did manage to also accomplish a few others things this month. Steve made several trips to New England to facilitate programs, I spoke at the Central Massachusetts HR association year-end meeting, I spoke at a global leadership meeting for a new client, and I had one very interesting day working in the field with another client to better understand a day-in-the-life of a front line employee.
 
The company is a very large uniform laundry service provider and I rode in the truck with one of their route salesmen. Our day started at 5am and ended around 1pm (we took no breaks) with stops to a grocery store, mechanic shops, chemical plants, a couple of restaurants, and even a butcher. We dropped off clean uniforms, towels and rugs but also had to pick up the dirty ones which were quite stinky, covered in rotting food, gasoline, and blood. And I had it lucky, I went in May. I couldn’t imagine doing that job while trudging through 2 feet of snow, or the odors that must permeate the whole truck by the end of a hot August day. The experience left me feeling quite grateful for the people who are dedicated to the service industry, and for the work I am lucky enough to do (which doesn’t involve anything smelly).

No comments: