Thursday, June 16, 2016

Transparency in Feedback

During a coaching engagement, I spend a fair amount of time collecting feedback from the coworkers of the person I am working with and debriefing online 360-degree assessments. There is something that occurs about 10% of the time: the person on a 360 who leaves their name at the end of their comments or the person who shares openly with me on a phone interview and says I don't need to be anonymous. Every time it happens I am immediately impressed. It's easy to hide behind a blind survey but the willingness to own your comments and be prepared to discuss them requires someone with a healthy self-confidence combined with the empathy to share the message in an appropriate enough way they are willing to own it.
 
Imagine how refreshing it would be for your peers and colleagues to give you open feedback that could be discussed and clarified instead of having to interpret from body language, hints, and indirect advice? I've made a commitment to always be transparent when I am asked to give feedback to others and I encourage you to do the same. 

No comments: