Thursday, February 4, 2016

Ego vs EQ in Action at the Superbowl


Just in time for the big game, we will take the principles of ego vs EQ to the football field. In one corner, we have Cam Newton representing Ego... in the other corner we have Peyton Manning representing EQ.

In case you need some supporting evidence as to why, according to NFL.com:
Cam Newton is apparently viewed by some as the league's greatest talent, but also the league's greatest unknown.



At least that's what one Charlotte-area broadcaster said to the Panthers quarterback during a recent sit-down, which elicited the following answer from Newton.

"Absolutely not," he told WCCB-TV, via AL.com. "And I say this with the most humility, but I don't think nobody has ever been who I'm trying to be. Nobody has the size, nobody has the speed, nobody has the arm strength, nobody had the intangibles that I've had. I'm not saying that to say I'm a one-on-one type of person that this league will never see another. No, I'm not saying that. Hear me out. I'm just saying that so much of my talents have not been seen in one person."

Over confidence that appears as ego?

On the flip side, Joseph Milord wrote an article for Elite Daily titled, “9 Stories That Prove Peyton Manning is the Most Humble Athlete Ever

Here is one example:

He Is Just As Classy In Defeat As He Is In Victory

After swallowing his most embarrassing loss ever — a 43-8 Super Bowl defeat to the Seattle Seahawks in this past February — Manning went out of his way to check on the opposing team’s most polarizing players, Richard Sherman, after the cornerback had injured his ankle during the game.

Sherman was awestruck by Manning’s class, considering the circumstances, and was quoted as saying by Pro Football Talk:

He was really concerned about my well-being. After a game like that, a guy who’s still classy enough to say ‘How are you doing?’ To show that kind of concern for an opponent shows a lot of humility and class.

I am sure you can guess who I am rooting for on Sunday.

More interesting reads on this topic:
The Biggest Ego on Every NFL Team by Nick Kostora for Bleacher Report


No comments: