Thursday, August 6, 2015

Penumbra's Month in a Minute


Me and Craig Robinson of Broadcom
July took us across 7 states and included workshops and speaking engagements. We have been busy preparing for our new webinar series "Ego vs EQ" to help leaders learn more about the pitfalls that impede our ability to successfully use emotional intelligence. The first program is on Sept 17th and is free, so we would love to have you join us. Click here to register.

Pam with her fabulous KPMG
 workshop participants in Dallas
I have learned a valuable lesson this month about the 
importance of confirming assumptions. I was asked to speak to a group of senior leaders in a manufacturing company on emotional intelligence so I assumed they would want practical tips and examples, relevant to their leadership responsibilities. So with help from my team, we built the content to be application-focused, and spent less time on research or brain science. Later in the month, I was asked to speak at the State University of NY (SUNY) summer institute program for cardiovascular research associates. I built a research-heavy presentation with studies from medicine and academia assuming they would want a more scientific perspective. Well, the manufacturing client wanted much less on mindful behaviors and more on scientific research and I spent most of my time with the SUNY scholars on ways to use EQ to be more influential and successful in careers. And as hard as it was to not “show off” the detailed slides it took time to research and create, I dumped the ones they didn’t have an interest in. A good reminder to stop assuming and start verifying no matter how sure I am about what I think the 
audience wants. The other important thing it reminded me of was the importance of being flexible in the moment to meet the needs of the person I am with, not be locked down to my personal agenda. And that is darn hard sometimes.

No comments: