Tuesday, July 2, 2013

How Much More Could You Be Making?

I had the pleasure of meeting Allison McGrail of Allison Hope Photography (www.allisonhopephotography.com) to have some new headshots taken (look below to see how they turned out). She did an excellent job accommodating my requests which included about 4 wardrobe changes, indoor studio shots, outdoor close up shots, garden shots, etc. She spent extra time with me and met all of my requests with a smile. When it came time to pay for my sitting fee, I was prepared to pay at least double what she charged me. I thought, "I need to tell her she is undercharging, she doesn't understand her value here." (I have since done that).

Later that very same day, I was on the phone with a client who I had just completed a small project for and she said, "I need to tell you something as a friend. You are undercharging by about half." I almost fell out of my chair. Damn. Why is it so clear to see someone else undervaluing their worth but nearly impossible to see it in ourselves? Is it a female thing? Is it a small business owner thing? I would love to hear your opinions on it. Please post comments...


<>

www.penumbra.com




No comments: