Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Thanks for Listening


As a professional coach and consultant, I sometimes feel like a fraud. In many ways, all I am is a good listener. Thanks to Stephen Covey and his wonderful teaching, I have learned to listen well, with empathy and hopefully to make the person feel understood, not judged. Many people, friends, colleagues, current and past clients call me just to talk. And I love it, hearing their stories, learning about their challenges and helping them find a solid solution to whatever relationship dynamics are challenging them at the time. But there are times that I need someone to do that for me; the coach needing a coach. It is unusual when I get to do more of the talking than the listening, a rare luxury. I was lucky this week, got the chance to lean on a friend and spill it.

If you have someone in your life that does all the listening to you, don’t ever forget to repay the favor. It will mean the world to them.  

No comments: