Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Why Should I Worry About This?

I’d like to take a moment to explore an important, related question of one of my prospective clients, a CEO, who recently asked me, “Why do I need your services? I have a great team that I have high trust in and an open dialogue with” (translated into the present context to, “Why should I read this book?”). I know that many of my readers are just like this CEO; they are conscientious leaders, respected by their teams. They are highly skilled at what they do and, as a result, receive many signs of positive feedback.

Unfortunately, receiving reassuring feedback and being liked by your team is not enough to ensure you are on the right path as a leader. Feeling you trust your team won’t safeguard against them keeping your blind spots from you. It is in fact the most beloved and well-respected CEOs that are at the greatest risk  of succumbing to their blind spots and falling into a trap because their strong team likes them and doesn't want to hurt them or their feelings. They think the leader is overall doing a good job so the little criticisms get minimized or ignored. Eventually the feedback gets suppressed enough that the leader gets lulled into a false sense of security. And that’s when problems can happen.

No comments: