Friday, November 20, 2009

Air Travel

I finished the 2nd of 3 programs this week and was scheduled to fly last night on Horizon Air from Spokane WA to Sacramento to deliver the last program today. I had a connection through Portland. And there was no weather in Spokane, Portland or Sacramento last night so I had no concerns. One hour before the Spokane departure, a delay was announced due to a mechanical problem. The length of the delay meant I was going to miss my connection in Portland and it was the last flight to Sacramento for the night (of course). I was forced to spend the night in Portland, and then I had to change my hotel reservation, change my car rental reservation, make sure my suitcase was routed to Portland instead of Sacramento (and the worst part) tell my client that instead of starting the workshop today at 8:30am as planned, I would not be able to get there until 11am. I know the airlines avoid delays whenever possible, but I really don't think they have any idea what it does to us, the paying passengers, when a disruption in their service occurs. It really is an utter disrespect for my time and they all continually send the message to customers that our time is of no value. It's unbelievable that any business can run like this.

No comments: