Monday, September 15, 2008

Perspective

I have spent the best weekend in one of my favorite places in the world - Sanibel Island. I am an admitted shell addict and the whole experience of a live treasure hunt is thrilling to me. I was there for 3 days and the first day, I picked up every shell I found that wasn't broken or too common; I came home thrilled with my catch. After the second day of shelling, I threw back most of what I found on the first day. My perspective on what a good find was had completely changed. Of course, by day three I wasn't even picking up shells that I would have died for on day one because I had seen so much more, had discovered rarer species and was focused on only keeping the best of the best.

I thought how much that is how we are with people in our lives. Our perspective changes when someone does something that raises the bar and sets the new standard in our mind of what is possible, or what is desirable. There are some dear people in my life that re-set the standards of excellence every day through surprising and delightful acts of loyalty and faith. They are the best of the best.

Just like the great Seinfeld episode when Jerry and Elaine are rebooked to a flight that only has two seats left - one in Coach and one First Class. Jerry askes Elaine if she has ever flown First Class and she says no, so Jerry says the decision is easy who gets it: him. Because once you have flown First, you cannot go back to Coach.